This Blog will be a jumbled mess of my thoughts and experiences.

Saturday, September 03, 2005

Hat's Off

It is always sad to see a large supercenter come into a small town and run a number of mom and pop shops out of business. The town looses it's charm and uniqueness. Is that a word? Anyway, when a national chain opens a store and the other little places go out of business, you are stuck with whatever the chain has. Granted places like Walmart usually have everything you need, but there are times when you want something that 10 million other people don't already have. Also, what is the point of traveling when every store in every town is exactly the same. Despite that fact, I seem to go to Walmart anyway to get most of the stuff I need, so who am I to talk. That being said, I do have to give my hat's off to Walmart though. I have heard on the news and read some articles that shows that Walmart is not just a corporate tyrant trying to take over the world. Two things really caught my attention. First, Walmart has teamed up with the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation and has committed to preserve one acre of land for every acre of land they develop. Second, as an added effort to help Katrina disaster victims, they have kick-started Bush and Clinton's fundraiser with a $15 million check. Also, they are setting up mini-Walmarts around the hurricane area to give out free supplies. So, as I don't really approve of chain store takeover, I think Walmart does a pretty good job of "doing the right thing".

1 Comments:

Blogger MarkIsces said...

that pict of the old guy is funny. I think they should hire them all over the store. put an old guy at every isle and intersection. make them say "Morn'in" to anyone that passes.

I love that picture.
markisces out.

6:35 PM, September 05, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home